La Caisse des Français de l’Etranger (CFE)
The Caisse des Français de l’Etranger covers three risks:
– work accidents and work-related illness;
– basic state pension (the Social Security retirement fund managed by the Caisse nationale d’assurance vieillesse).
A la carte
The expatriate has the possibility to be covered for one or more of these risks depending of his or her work situation (employed or not), local conditions and also his or her financial capabilities.
Future expatriates should keep in mind:
– Work accidents coverage, which is too often forgotten. The guarantees provided by the CFE are irreplaceable in case of serious accidents.
– Student health insurance, for which a reduced rate has been granted;
– Retirement insurance for those with dependant family members which enables people who have had to give up employment to retain their personal entitlement to a full Social Security pension. This is an especially valuable advantage for women who become widowed or divorce.
The Caisse des Français de l’Etranger has a health and society action budget that assists insured parties who find themselves in a difficult situation as a result of an accident or serious illness. The budget receives its funding from a deduction from premiums paid and from a part of the financial income earned. Because of this budget, the Caisse des Français de l’Etranger can cover certain additional services, if so decided by the relevant Commission or by the Director, and provide financial assistance to families in need.
This health and society action budget also finances preventive care expenses: vaccinations and medication that is not covered domestically but is imperative for expatriates.